Wednesday, July 22, 2009

3 months, 4 days, 18 hours

So here we are, three months in-country and one month at site. Only 24 months left to go…24…
I heard there is some worldwide Peace Corps graph that shows enthusiasm over period of service and that one of the lowest points is the period 3-4 months. I guess this would be the stage I am currently in. Unfortunately, I am unsure as to what it is that I will actual do in my office. Originally the DAC volunteers came in to help setup the offices and get them running, but now that they are staffed and been running for 6 years, it is a little unclear as to what to do. The one area that I have noticed a need is getting all data uploaded onto a computer so that we may then chart trends and USE the data to effectively plan. Unfortunately, no one seems too excited about this prospect.
I also need to get out of the office more. I am thinking that I will propose one day a week for me out of the office where I can go around and visit with the various NGOs in an informal catchup. This will help paint a clearer picture of what is going on in my village while at the same time providing a chance escape the cold, fluorescent tomb that is my office!
I had a conversation with a good friend from graduate school once about expectations for the Peace Corps. I lauded that I had absolutely none, circumstances would arise and I would adjust my course accordingly – prepared for anything. He chided that off as foolish, that everyone has expectations, but I stuck to my guns. I think I am now coming to an understanding of the expectations I had. Basically, that I wouldn’t be sitting in an office, dressed in a suit 5 days a week from 7:30-4:30…I had the expectation that this would not be my life in Peace Corps…wrong!
All is not bad though…we are soon to be coming out of winter, which will be a nice reprieve as it has been colder than a mother fracker(I’m on a BSG kick right now) the past month. I also have In-Service Training in a month which will be a nice 10 day break to reconnect with the other volunteers and fervently discuss the trials and successes of the Peace Corps program.
There are also many other things to look forward to. There is a big election in October which, based on whisperings, is going to be a big deal. Apparently, however, people are not allowed to speak out against the very strong, centralized government, a right I hold dear to my little American heart. It seems that the country is starting to approach some apprehention about the future as the market for diamonds declines and programs rapidly run over-budget. Whatever the outcome of the election, I just hope the leaders can move forward to getting Botswana less reliant on foreign imports and developing strong Batswana-run small businesses.
(I hope that last paragraph was bland enough. It is so hard to speak my mind on this blog and still remain totally PC.)
In November, the illustrious Mama Marr is rumored to be making a stop in Cape Town, which will be awesome. Then in December there is Christmas vacation, which should be a great chance to explore more of the country. By that time, too, I should have a clear understanding of what can be done in my office and community and have days which are a bit more filled than they are now. I also have to start working on completing my degree at some point!

1 comment: